Aug 20, 2020
When the threat of malpractice looms large, we provide strategies to mount an aggressive and creative legal defense aimed at protecting our clients' businesses and reputations while also prevailing against claims for damages.
Malpractice claims and other professional liability matters pose must-win scenarios for working professionals, as they put both your reputation and your business on the line. We rise to the challenge with the level of urgency and skill required to achieve a best-case scenario. While many of these cases do settle, our goal is to identify and advance the best strategy for the particular case. And when necessary, we know how to take cases to trial and win.
Our approach includes:
- Leveraging our formidable track record in professional liability cases, which we find tends to favorably inform the opponent’s settlement posture
- Working together as a single, unified litigation team with experienced professional liability defense attorneys, bringing in experience from Parker Hudson’s other practice groups whenever advantageous
- Taking a cost-effective approach to document review and discovery
- Providing ongoing legal guidance and reputation management for high-profile clients who must be mindful of their public image and client relations
- Aggressively seeking discovery to uncover key defensive facts
- Offering the same expertise and trial skills bench depth as larger professional liability defense firms but with fee arrangements that provide better value to the client
- Legal malpractice defense
- Attorney and/or judicial liability
- Medical malpractice defense
- Accounting malpractice defense
- Actuary liability
- Securities broker defense
- Securities consultant defense
- Investment adviser defense
- Insurance agent / broker defense
- Real estate agent / broker defense
- Punitive damages and treble damages claims
- Represented a Fortune 500 diagnostic testing company in successfully challenging and reversing a significant adverse jury verdict. Following a nearly $5.5 million adverse jury verdict prior to our firm’s involvement, our firm handled post-trial briefing, a new trial, and an appeal, which ultimately resulted in a complete defense verdict and no liability to our client. The firm was initially retained after a trial, in which our firm was not involved, resulted in a jury verdict against our client and its subsidiary on a medical malpractice claim for nearly $5.5 million. Once retained, the Parker Hudson team first obtained a new trial on damages, and then convinced the trial court to vacate the remaining portion of the jury’s verdict (the liability finding) and award a new trial on all issues. The parties tried the case to a jury in March 2014. The plaintiff sought at least $7 million at trial. The Parker Hudson team were the lead trial lawyers and tried the case along with a lawyer from another firm. After a six-day jury trial, the jury entered a complete defense verdict, which was then affirmed by the Georgia Court of Appeals.
- Served as Expert Witness on issues of ethics and standards of care in attorney malpractice actions and motions for attorney's fees for alleged frivolous claims.
- The firm represented a law firm in a government investigation and related civil proceedings involving allegations that deceased managing partner stole millions of dollars of client trust funds over many years.