Jul 06, 2022
Parker Hudson represents insurance policyholders after their carrier has denied coverage, or in the course of a dispute with an insurance provider regarding the scope of coverage.
Clients come to us because we have a long record of achieving successful outcomes after an initial denial of coverage.
We also provide aggressive representation in disputes with insurance companies, such as when the carrier disputes the reasonable interpretation of policy language, issues a reservation of rights letter, or insists on an unreasonably low offer of settlement.
Our approach includes:
- Drawing on the experience and insight of Parker Hudson’s many different practice groups, whenever appropriate
- Leveraging our firm’s reputation as aggressive and successful advocates for insurance policyholders
- Negotiating with insurance carriers in practical terms, making a compelling case for our client’s best interests as the most reasonable course of action
- Seeking creative solutions
- Offering practical advice without resorting to legalese
- Putting our clients’ best possible outcome — that is, the broadest coverage from the insurer, both for liability and costs of defense — above all else
The attorneys on our Insurance Coverage Litigation team have practical experience in interpreting insurance contracts and ultimately obtaining coverage — whether through negotiation or litigation — in even the most challenging cases.
Additionally, we counsel business clients in the negotiation of coverage for directors and officers in connection with the company’s obligation to indemnify those officers and advance their costs of defense.
- Coverage denials
- Reservation of rights
- Liability insurance
- Director and Officer insurance
- Advancement of defense costs
- Insurance bad faith
- Policyholders in a wide range of industries
- Successfully represented major manufacturer of consumer electronics in multi-defendant wrongful death lawsuit, which raised issues of insurance coverage, contract interpretation, contractual and common law indemnification obligations, negligence, and punitive damages.
- Represented a major regional healthcare client in obtaining insurance coverage for a claim against the client arising out of a business dispute. The liability carrier originally denied coverage, but the Firm was able to persuade the carrier to change its position.
- Represented an industrial company as special insurance counsel in challenging the denial of coverage for claims in a law suit against the client brought by a competitor for tortious interference and other claims arising from the client’s hiring of employees. The Firm brought suit against the carrier and ultimately was able to convince the carrier to acknowledge coverage and pay the client’s significant defense costs.
- Successfully represented an aviation client in a suit against it for damages. The contested insurance issue was whether the client had coverage as an additional insured under another party’s liability policy.
- Frequently consult with clients about coverage issues under general liability and director and officer insurance policies and advises clients about making claims under existing coverage.
- Obtained a complete dismissal of a putative class action filed against a major national bank client related to alleged misrepresentations regarding Vendor's Single Interest ("VSI") insurance for automobile loans.
- The firm represented a law firm in a government investigation and related civil proceedings involving allegations that deceased managing partner stole millions of dollars of client trust funds over many years.
- Represented national bank in insurance coverage dispute arising out of significant tort claim filed in Florida.
- Represented medical provider in insurance coverage dispute arising out of data breach incident.