Feb 02, 2018
v. justin arpey
Consistently delivers top-notch results in an efficient and effective manner. Truly is a go-to litigator for the bank.
Vice President & Legal Counsel for broker dealer and bank client
Justin Arpey is a business litigator with a talent for solving his clients’ problems. Focused on securities arbitration & litigation, real estate litigation, construction litigation, financial services litigation, and commercial disputes, Justin brings a proactive, comprehensive approach to litigation that ensures his clients’ matters are resolved efficiently and effectively.
Two areas of deep concentration for Justin are representing broker and broker-dealer clients in arbitrations across the country before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and representing commercial property owners, landlords, tenants, real estate developers, and builders in real estate related and construction litigation. Justin strongly believes that the best results are driven by prompt, clear communication with the client and calculated offensive strategies aimed at resolving disputes in his clients’ favor.
Justin’s passion for client service and litigation results have led to his regular recognition as “Rising Star” within the Georgia legal community. With his desire to understand every aspect of each client’s case – while creatively seeking the best possible outcome – Justin has become an in-demand advisor for brokers and other businesses facing legal disputes.
- Served as lead counsel on behalf of a national broker/dealer client in a series of FINRA arbitrations arising out the departure of multiple employees following the client's sale of its wealth division. The firm filed individual arbitrations to recover amounts owed by the former employees and defended against their various employment-related counterclaims. The firm was successful in recovering over $16 million for the client and defeating more than $17 million in claims against the client.
- Represented a national broker/dealer in defense of a FINRA arbitration filed by a former employee of the client alleging wrongful termination, U-5 defamation, and disparate treatment. The former employee sought over $11 million in compensatory damages and punitive damages. After the claimant rested, the Panel unanimously granted the client's motion to dismiss and denied the claimant's claims in their entirety.
- Represented the owner of one of Atlanta's signature high rise buildings in two parallel federal lawsuits against a major Atlanta restauranteur for breach of a commercial lease. The Firm obtained two judgments in the client's favor and utilized the post-judgment collection process to leverage a significant monetary recovery.
- Represented the owner of a multi-million dollar commercial property in condemnation action and successfully recovered over twice the amount offered by GDOT for acquisition of the owner's property rights while at the same time persuading GDOT to allow the owner to maintain the right-in driveway servicing the property, which GDOT had initially planned to remove.
- Successfully recovered over $1.5 million on behalf of leading wireless engineering and consulting company for installation of distributed antenna system in newly constructed football stadium.
- Represented trust and trustees in declaratory judgment action to obtain mineral rights to certain real property through adverse possession.
- Currently representing national real estate investment trust in litigation against major wireless service provider in state court action involving alleged breach of cell phone tower lease.
- Represented well-known orthopedic physician practice in commercial lease dispute involving alleged constructive eviction.
- Represented a commercial property investor in condemnation action initiated by GDOT. After months of litigation, we convinced GDOT to cancel plans to remove property's right-in drive and to compensate the investor in full for his attorney's fees and costs.
- Served as co-lead counsel for a world renowned landscape architect in a post-settlement JAMS arbitration between the client and his former business partners, a Chinese architect and a French urban planning professional, all of whom previously operated a very successful multi-disciplinary commercial design firm in Shanghai, China. During a multi-day hearing before a London-based arbitrator the parties presented testimony from witnesses in Europe, China and the Philippines. Following the conclusion of the arbitration, the arbitrator entered a substantial award in favor of the firm’s client, including broad injunctive relief and a seven figure monetary judgment. The award was confirmed over objection and the client prevailed in an appeal to the confirmation order.
- Real Estate
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Litigation
- Business Torts & Unfair Competition
- Commercial Disputes
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities Litigation & Arbitration
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Skidmore College (B.A.)
- Named as a "Georgia Rising Star" by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2018) (top 2.5% of attorneys in Georgia 40 years old or younger or in practice 10 years or less)
- Named as one of Georgia's Legal Elite for 2010 by Georgia Trend magazine
- Member, Atlanta Bar Association Securities Section, Litigation Section, and Real Estate Section
- Member, State Bar Association Litigation Section
- Volunteer, Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- New York