Jan 17, 2020
Richie Lopez is an associate in the firm's Healthcare practice group. He represents healthcare providers of all sizes, including hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and private practitioners in matters involving healthcare compliance and litigation. With his strong foundation in federal and state regulatory matters, Richie helps clients identify and avoid legal vulnerabilities, and investigate and respond to potential compliance concerns.
Richie works with clients to develop compliance policies and procedures and prepare for government audits and, when necessary, challenge adverse government findings through the administrative appeals process. With his strengths in issue-spotting and advocacy, Richie has successfully represented healthcare providers in government investigations and medical staff and payer-provider litigation. Richie is Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC).
- Defend hospital system in race discrimination and breach of contract suit by former physician who had her clinical privileges revoked. Plaintiff claimed that she was being denied constitutional due process after she failed to timely request a hearing. We successfully obtained a dismissal of her claims by the lower court, her appeal is pending in the Georgia Court of Appeals.
- Successful resolution of qui tam action against hospital alleging violation of False Claims Act relating to emergency medical services.
- Represents providers (hospitals, physicians, home health agencies, hospice and skilled nursing facilities) in Medicare contractor audits and appeals, including experience in successfully reversing statistical extrapolations.
- Advised multiple providers regarding regulatory matters, including compliance issues, investigations and voluntary refunds.
- Served as lead counsel in representation of hospital seeking Georgia CON approval for multi-specialty ambulatory surgery center and cancer center offering radiation therapy services.
- Prepared policies and conducted training for covered entities across the country to comply with HIPAA Privacy Rule.
- Counseled Business Associates and entities working with regulated providers on HIPAA Privacy, Transactions and Security Standards as well as HITECH implementation.
- Performed investigations and analysis of potential breaches of confidential information to advise regulated entities.
- Advised a medical clinic in connection with the assessment and development of medical records policies with respect to access, access fees and authorization requirements.
- Panelist, "Networking through Bar Service" - March Group Mentoring Program, State Bar of Georgia (March 2020)
- "340B Covered Entities Under the Microscope: Major Changes to the 340B Drug Discount Program Are Underway" – AHLA RAP Sheet, Vol. 20 Issue 3 (December 2017)
- "Recent OCR Guidance on Preventing and Responding to Ransomware" – PHRD Client Alert (August 2016)
- "CMS Request for Information Regarding Implementation of MIPS, Promotion of APMs, and Incentive Payments for Participation in Eligible APMs" - Email Alert - AHLA Physician Organization & Regulation, Accreditation, and Payment Practice Groups (October 2015)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Healthcare Litigation
- Healthcare Regulatory, Reimbursement & Compliance
- Privacy & Data Security
- Regulated Industry Advocacy, Licensing & Certifications
- University of Georgia School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2015) Order of the Coif
- Villanova University (B.A., 2012)
- Selected for the 2020 Atlanta 500 by Atlanta Magazine
- State Bar of Georgia Health Law Section Scholarship
- CALI Awards for Excellence in Civil Procedure I & II (University of Georgia School of Law)
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
- Latin American Association’s Advocacy Committee (2018-present)
- Georgia Hispanic Bar Association, President (2018-present), Secretary (2017-2018)
- Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys (GAHA)
- Healthcare Compliance Association (HCCA)
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Atlanta Regional Commission, Global Advisory Panel (2017)
news & insightsview all news
Jan 17, 2020