J.P. Fougerousse is a real estate lawyer devoted to helping his clients get the most out of their property. In addition to helping clients buy, sell, and develop real property, J.P. is pioneering ways for owners to extract and monetize the ecological values of their property. His creative and business-oriented approach ensures that his client’s objectives are fully realized.
In his work representing the full spectrum of real estate investors, developers and users, J.P. regularly advises clients in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, development, debt and equity structuring and financing, and commercial leasing. He has also emerged as a leader in the field of ecological mitigation and conservation banking under wetlands, stream, and habitat protection programs established by federal and state environmental authorities.
J.P. brings tenacity and focus to his work. His experience and expertise helps J.P. provide clients with the broadest possible range of options. At the same time, his collaborative, creative outlook creates the environment for his clients’ deals to succeed.
- Represented one of the leading national institutional investors in all aspects of its (and its predecessor's) portfolio of dozens of wetlands/stream mitigation banks, conservation banks and other ecological assets located in more than 9 states.
- Represented a major investment management firm in the sale of a Class A office asset serving as the Southeastern headquarters of a major national media company and adjoining development parcel located in Norcross, Georgia.
- Served as lead borrower's counsel to a joint venture in the refinancing of a Class A office building in Midtown, Atlanta, GA, provided by a major private equity lender.
- Atlantic Station, "2011 Best in Atlanta Real Estate for Retail" by the Atlanta Business Chronicle
Represented a joint venture between a major institutional investor and a major retail developer/owner in the acquisition, repositioning and ultimate sale of "Atlantic Town Center," the 585,000 sf retail center and anchor of the Atlantic Station® Project, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Represented a major institutional seller in the sale of the "crown jewel" ("Pinnacle Parcel") and an additional approximate 3 acre development parcel located in the Atlantic Station® Project in Atlanta, Georgia, to a major investment advisor purchaser.
- Represented a major institutional seller in the sale of two development parcels located in the Atlantic Station® Project in Atlanta, Georgia, to a hotel developer and to a multi-family developer, respectively.
- Represented a major institutional seller in the sale of a 424,000 sf investment-grade office asset in Atlanta, Georgia (Central Perimeter submarket) to a major investment firm purchaser.
- Represented a major institutional seller of a 542,000 sf office building located in the Atlantic Station® Project, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Represented a major, national bath products company in its leasing of multiple industrial properties and office space in two Southeastern states.
- Represented one of the leading national institutional investors in connection with its portfolio of wetlands/stream mitigation banks, conservation banks and other ecological assets located in 2 states.
- Represented a private real estate investment firm in the sale of 180 Pennant Park (formerly Interstate North Office Park), a 120,000 sf office asset and adjacent development tract located in Atlanta, Georgia (Cumberland submarket).
- Co-Chair and Presenter: ("The Lawyer's Guide to Mitigation Bank Development") - Ecological and Environmental Mitigation Banking Seminar (Atlanta, Georgia; November 2012).
- Co-author, "Do Owners Have a Fair Chance of Prevailing Under the Ad Hoc Regulatory Takings Test of Penn Central Transportation Company?," 14 Duke Env. Law & Policy Forum 121 (Fall 2003)
- Author of the student note, "Citadel Cadets Dodge the State Action Bullet: A Critical Analysis of Mentavlos v. Anderson," 53 S.C. L. Rev. 737 (2002)
- LEED - Speaker on several real estate topics including sustainable development and the LEED certification program, real estate broker commission agreements and easements
- Real Estate
- Corporate & Business Transactions
- Private Equity
- Real Estate Transactions
- University of South Carolina - (J.D., magna cum laude, 2003) Order of the Coif; Order of Wig and Robe; Member, South Carolina Law Review
- Vanderbilt University - (B.A., magna cum laude, 2000)
- Selected as "Up and Coming" in Georgia Real Estate Law by Chambers USA (2018)
- Selected as a "Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star" by Law & Politics Media and Atlanta Magazine (2009)
- Serves on the Firm's Recruiting; Strategic Planning; and Associate Evaluation Committees
- Board of Directors, The Training and Counseling Center at St. Luke's, Inc.