Jun 04, 2018
Emily Shingler is a skilled litigator and healthcare attorney with a background in government investigations and False Claims Act work. Over the course of her career, Emily has led efforts to fight elder fraud and abuse and helped health industry clients with regulatory compliance in a wide range of areas. Her perspective and responsive approach ensures her clients are always exceptionally well-guided.
A former Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Northern District of Georgia, Emily now helps a broad range of healthcare providers with government investigations, compliance matters, internal investigations, and reimbursement issues. She has a broad background in qui tam and False Claims Act investigations and litigation, complex civil litigation, and healthcare compliance. Emily is regularly called on to advise clients on regulatory issues at both the federal and state level, as well as advising on the complex regulatory interplay that arises in healthcare consolidation deals.
Emily is fiercely committed to ensuring that her clients are operating soundly and within the law. With her government background, Emily has an insider’s perspective on the regulatory hot button issues facing healthcare businesses and their managers. At the same time, her advocacy skills and productive style of communication ensures that all client matters are efficiently moved forward to resolution.
- Representing national physician staffing company in False Claims Act investigation brought by the United States Department of Justice.
- Advised large healthcare provider in a False Claims Act investigation and response to civil investigative demand.
- Advised large healthcare provider in response to RAC audit.
- As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, led affirmative civil investigations into Medicare/Medicaid fraud against the U.S. government including issuing civil investigative demands, conducting interviews and taking testimony of witnesses and defendants, and presenting findings to defendants in False Claims Act investigations.*
- Successfully negotiated settlements on behalf of the government in matters involving the False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, and Stark Law.*
- On behalf of the government, investigated and negotiated settlement of several matters under the Americans with Disabilities Act involving hospitals.*
- As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, investigated and settled a False Claims Act case involving customs fraud.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Parker Hudson.
- Corporate Investigations
- Healthcare Litigation
- Healthcare Regulatory, Reimbursement & Compliance
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- University of Georgia School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Davidson College (B.S., Psychology)
- Member, Women's White Collar Criminal Defense Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association