Erin is an associate with the firm's litigation practice group. Erin's practice focuses on complex commercial disputes and litigation in both federal and state courts, particularly in the areas of banking and class action defense. She has significant experience successfully defending financial institutions in disputes involving the Uniform Commercial Code, claims pursuant to various state and federal consumer banking, credit, and lending statutes, and breach of contract and other common law causes of action. Erin has litigated cases in federal courts throughout the United States, including the United States District Courts for the Northern District of Georgia, the Southern District of Indiana, and the Eastern District of Wisconsin and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. She has also represented clients before numerous state courts, including the trial and/or appellate courts in Georgia, Minnesota, and Alabama. Erin also has experience in a number of arbitration matters.
Before joining the firm, Erin was an associate with King & Spalding LLP in its Atlanta and London offices. While there, she worked on several high profile cases and gained complex commercial litigation experience in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels, as well as extensive arbitration experience.
Prior to attending law school, Erin received her B.A. in International Studies and French, summa cum laude, from Saint John Fisher College in Rochester, New York. Erin received her J.D., magna cum laude, in 2005 from the Boston University School of Law. As a law student, she served as an editor on the Boston University Law Review.
Erin is a member of the State Bar of Georgia, and is admitted to practice in the State Courts of Georgia, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Eleventh Circuits.
Professional and Civic Involvement
- State Bar of Georgia; American Bar Association (Section of Dispute Resolution and Young Lawyers Division), Young International Arbitrators’ Group (YIAG) of the London Court of Arbitration (LCIA), Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Young and International Associates Group (Y & I) of the International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), and United States Council for International Business (USCIB) Young Arbitrators Forum
- Paul J. Liacos Distinguished Scholar
- G. Joseph Tauro Distinguished Scholar
- Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar
- Certificate in European Union and Comparative Law: Tulane University in Conjunction
with Facoltà di Giurisprudenza, Università di Siena (Summer 2003, Siena, Italy)
- Currently defending London-based sellers of vintage wine in action brought by Georgia purchaser alleging fraud, RICO, Georgia RICO, negligent misrepresentation, breach of contract and related claims.
- Successfully represented two major banks defending claims in excess of $500 million as part of the nationwide Checking Account Overdraft Litigation MDL, obtaining complete dismissals after four years of litigation before federal district courts, the Eleventh Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented national banking association in action brought by allegedly defrauded investors in connection with a series of agreements to provide funding for speculative real estate flipping transactions.
- Successfully represented national banking associations and state-chartered banks operating in Georgia in numerous lawsuits raising fraud and RICO claims, as well as claims under the UCC, conversion, negligence, usury, and breach of contract.
- Successfully represented national banking associations and healthcare providers in several actions alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Successfully represented secured lender and foreign governmental agency in an action by the former Chief Executive Officer of a bankrupt company seeking to enforce the terms of his employment agreement, including multi-million dollar bonuses. Successfully represented the guarantor to the Chief Executive Officer's employment agreement in a related action seeking to enforce the same employment agreement.
- Successfully defended sellers in an action brought by buyers of acquired company for alleged breaches of representations and warranties and won summary judgment for sellers in 2 related suits for payment under the buyers' promissory notes, defeating buyers' counterclaim for fraudulent inducement in connection with the notes.
- Currently representing three banks in defending putative nationwide class actions in the Overdraft MDL.
- Currently representing national banking associations and state-chartered banks operating in Georgia in numerous lawsuits raising UCC, conversion, negligence, usury, and breach of contract.
- Currently defending sellers in an action brought by buyers of acquired company for alleged breaches of representations and warranties.
- Successfully represented two clients in enforcing the guaranties on two promissory notes, obtaining a judgment totaling approximately $2.5 million.
Publications and Presentations
- "Anticipating and Managing Projects: Changes in Law, The Construction Lawyer, Fall 2006 (co-authored by John W. Hinchey)